Happy Mother's Day!

Today is Mother's Day in the United States, and as it was just me and my mother, I decided to cook her a nice dinner.

I decided to make the Southwestern Stuffed Spaghetti Squash, a recipe I found on Pinterest. I spend far too much time on that website, trolling for food and quotes and crafty things. I was happy to see something I could actually, you know, make rather than just pin it. (It almost makes me feel like the time wasn't wasted, as if all that time was magically validated.)

I had never cooked with Spaghetti Squash before, so I was a little uneasy but I decided to just take the ball and run with it. After baking the squash for a little less than an hour, the knife cut through it like it was melted butter. The "guts" of it (the seeds, and the goopy stuff) came out easily, as did the bit that looks like spaghetti! ( I didn't think to grab a picture, but to those of you that have never tried it, it really does look like spaghetti!)


Once the squash was done, the rest of the meal sort of fell together. Each step took only a minute or two, and once the spices were added, it spelled divine.


It tasted divine as well. My mother thinks I went a little heavy on the garlic and jalapenos, but while she may be right on the jalapenos (I didn't have a problem with the amount, but I realize jalapenos aren't everyone's cup of tea), however I may concede on the garlic.

But my concession is mostly because I buy the jarred, pre-minced stuff and she buys the fresh whole that you have to press yourself. There is, admittedly, a difference in taste, which may be what she was noticing.  But the garlic wasn't overwhelming. None of the spices were overwhelming, and I didn't measure, I just eyeballed it.

I eyeballed everything, actually, wanting the ingredients to be in proportion with itself. (I do a lot of my cooking that way, actually. Baking, however, I measure with as much precision as possible (unless I'm making banana bread. In which case, I dumb about half of the bag of chocolate chips in.)

My mother seemed happy with the dinner, which I suppose is the important thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Casting On

The Right Yarn

Monkeying Around