Books Books Books

I've been reading up a storm lately. Normally, if I read that one, amazing book, then I have a hard time getting into another book. I spend a while moping, or busy with other hobbies, or as a last resort, I read a book that I've read many other times as a way to cleanse the proverbial palate.

First one was Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. It was recomended to me by a coworker. Apparently,everyone on that floor of the office was reading it, so I said, hey, why not?

Gone Girl is about a young wife who, on the day of her fifth wedding anniversary, mysteriously disappears from their Missouri home. I can't say too much about it except to say, if you are thinking about reading it, please do. The twists keep coming one right after another, and nothing is what it seems.

I read this one in two days- I simply couldn't put it down. It got to the point, about halfway through the book, that I NEEDED to know what was going to happen next.

Next up came A Single Thread by Marie Bostwick. This is the first in the Cobbled Court series, and it tells the story of Evelyn, and how after a sudden divorce, she decides to pick up what's left of her life, move across the country to rural New England and open a quilt shop. Along the way she finds three very different women who come together and form a sisterhood of sorts. It was another have-it-done-in-a-day reads, although to be fair, I was wearing my receptionist hat that particular day, and thus had nothing to do but answer phones and read. While this book was good (very good), I feel like the characters were just shy of being three dimensional. They all had their specific roles to play. But I'm still eagerly awaiting until my funds allow me to purchase the second in the series.


Most recently, I finished reading The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory. I've always been into historical fiction, and her novels are always riveting and consuming. Fourth in the Cousins' War series, this book tells the story of Anne Neville, daughter of the Earl of Warwick, who was known as "the Kingmaker" who also used his daughters as pawns in his political game. I've already pre-ordered the next book in the series, due out this summer: The White Princess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Casting On

The Right Yarn

Monkeying Around