Dirty Water

The title of this post may be a bit trite, I don't care. Although I live in New Hampshire, I am, like the rest of the country, reeling from the attacks at the Boston Marathon yesterday.

I grew up in the city of Waltham, which is not far from Boston. I only moved to New Hampshire when I was 12, and one of my earliest memories of Boston is a field trip to visit the Museum of Science.  It's always been "the city, " that magical place where Life happened. Even though I'm from New Hampshire, I love Boston. I am completely comfortable on the T (the subway system). I'll walk around Chinatown, visiting my favorite bakeries (but not at night.) The Freedom Trail, the USS Constitution... It's Boston. It's my home.

I found out about the bombings when I made my daily trip to the bank for work, the teller asked if I knew anything else about the "explosions." That's the key word there. Explosions. My first thought was "manhole cover? The Big Dig?" (as locals know, something faulty happening to the massive construction project spanning the 1990s isn't out of the question.) Something intentional never factored into my initial thought process. As was said many times yesterday, it doesn't happen here.

When I got home, and watched the news and saw that someone, some coward, did this to my city, I got angry. I couldn't watch CNN or FOX, they were too impersonal. I needed comfort from those that were there, at the finish line, who saw it happen. Patriot's Day, also known as Marathon Monday, is the unofficial start of spring, and that someone would take advantage of that, that someone would target us when we're celebrating spring, and healthy competition, and the spirit of the men and women who gave birth to a revolution, I just.... I have no words.

My thoughts and prayers are with those who were killed, or injured yesterday. I was lucky- of the friends and family I had in the city, all were far away enough that they weren't hurt. I'm just going to leave you with this quote, attributed to Mr. Rogers:

"When I was a boy, and I saw scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.'"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Right Yarn

Casting On

Monkeying Around