Turkey Day Preparation




About two weeks ago, a turkey breast jumped into my cart while at BJs. I'm not sure why I thought it would be a good idea; I've never made a turkey before. I don't even own a roasting pan.

But I had this six pound turkey breast, and decided to make something of it, and cooked it in the Instant Pot.  (Seriously. I love that thing so much.)



I decided to coat the bird using poultry seasoning, no real measurements were taken, just sprinkled the spices on and rubbed it in.

I put it on high pressure for 35 minutes (using the rule of thumb of 5 minutes per pound plus 5 minutes. It took 15 minutes to come to pressure, then the 35 minutes at pressure. and then between 12 and 17 minutes at NPR. I believe it was closer to the 17 minute mark. But, all in all. 70 minutes to cook a bird, and I didn't have to watch it every five minutes.*

 (For those of you without an Instant Pot, a Natural Pressure Release is when you let the device come down from it's high pressure setting naturally, until the seals release themselves. This is recommended when you're cooking with meat; this helps avoid drying the meat out.)


It still looks slimy and wet, but that, in my experience, is normal for meats cooked in the Pot. It'll dry out by tomorrow, by which time I'll have made a lovely broth and can make the what is the true purpose of this turkey breast- soup and salad.

(Today at work, I had the weirdest craving for Turkey Tetrazzini. I've never HAD Turkey Tetrazzini, only seen recipes on Pinterest, but I was craving it none-the-less. Has anyone had it? How does it taste? Is it worth it?)





*Exaggerating. Not by much, for me, but yes, I exaggerate. Sometimes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Casting On

The Right Yarn

Monkeying Around