In Which I Sit Down And Cry...

For my birthday last December, two of my coworkers bought me the knit pattern a day calendar. Most of the patterns I discarded, not anything I found interesting. However, there was one shawl pattern that I fell in love with, and HEY! I had an (extremely close) equivalent yarn in stash, in the exact yardage required. YAY, right?

(pattern called for KP Wool of the Andes Sport, I had KP Stroll Sport)

Those of you who are friends with me on facebook know the rest of the story.

Those of you who don't, however, here it is.

The gauge on the pattern calls for 4.5 stitches per inch in stockinette, using size five needles. I cast on, knit for awhile and then measured (I have a tendency to not knit a swatch, I figure after a couple inches of knitting I can measure then. Besides, it's a well known fact that swatches lie.)

It took awhile, but I finally got gauge- on size US8s. I didn't think too much of it- seeing how my original gauge on the size fives matched the recommended gauge on the ballband, I figured the designer was a wicked loose knitter. Whatever.

Now, I'm seven rows and a bind off away from being done, and I'm almost completely out of yarn.

Now, if I got gauge, I shouldn't be having this issue, right? My yardage and the designer's yardage should match if we're getting the same gauge.

So, my first thought was, buy another skein, just in case. You can always make a wine bottle cozy if it turns out you have enough yarn.

KNITPICKS DISCONTINUED THE YARN

Blech.

I was recounting this story to a knitter I work with, and she asked what I was going to.

"Cry.", I said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Casting On

The Right Yarn

Monkeying Around